Now that we are exposed to toxins through our food/air/water, detoxification is a modern-day necessity. It is amazing what water and lemon can do to detox our bodies very gently but effectively. “When life gives you a lemon, slice it in half, squeeze the juice into a glass of water and drink it first thing in the morning.” I don’t know who said it but I love it!!!
Lemon water is an insanely inexpensive way to hydrate and detox your body. Let’s get to it!!
Water for Detoxifying
Water alone is an impressive detoxifier. Water for detoxifying has been widely used for hundreds of years. Ancient Greek and Roman people, along with spiritual leaders, used this method for improving their health and cleansing the organs of their body. It can calm the mind and improve overall health and vitality. It can also help to prevent disease.
How much water?
- A basic standard is half your weight in ounces of water daily. Let’s say you weigh 200 pounds, then you would drink 100 ounces of water a day.
- Once you get used to listening to your body, it will tell you how much water you need. Every morning you are thirsty because you have gone all night without food or drink. So drink a large amount in the morning to get a good start every day.
- If you notice dark urine, drink more water. You “should” urinate 7-8 times a day.
- Pay attention to your body and use pure water to hydrate.
What kind of water?
Please do NOT drink your tap water without knowing its contents and contaminants.
- Read more in a prior post; Clean Up Our Tap Water
- Put your zip code into EWG Tap Water Database to learn more about your tap water
- Buy water in glass, not plastic
- Use a quality water filter to keep pure water handy and inexpensive (invest once and you will get your money back in bottled water savings)
- I have used this particular water filter for the last couple of years and have never been happier with a water filter
- No plumber
- No installation
- No plastic bottles in land-fills
- No heavy water jugs to carry
Lemon for Detoxifying
Add some lemon to your water and you have a more powerful detoxification process.
Lemons are botanically a citrus fruit in the Rutaceae family (Citrus Limon). Even though they are the smallest in its family, they have more comprehensive health benefits than its family members. There are two main types of lemons: Lisbon and Eureka. Also, a recent popular one is the sweeter Meyer Lemon.
- High in Vitamin C – containing around 30-40 mg of vitamin c (oranges contain 80-90 mg but more natural sugar)
- Acts as an antioxidant and helps protect cells from damage caused by free radicals
- Mild diuretic
- Contains citrate in the lemon juice, allowing the citric acid to enhance your body’s ability to naturally flush out unwanted toxins through increased amount of urine carrying the toxins
- Contains citrus flavonoids improving digestion especially when the water is warm
- May calm the stomach of upset or indigestion
- Supports the hydrochloric acid in the stomach in breaking down food
- Digestive Tip: include the zest of the lemon which may improve the good bacteria in your gut
- May neutralize acid in the body
- Test your pH in your particular body to maintain proper alkalinity
- Remember that things like lemons that taste acidic are alkaline inside the body – and an alkaline body is an important key to good health
- Appetite suppressant abilities
- Pectin gives a feeling a fullness, that may help reduce caloric intake
- Stimulates elimination
- By stimulating the liver’s production of bile
Lemon Water Safety & Tips
- SAFETY: Don’t consume the lemon seeds – don’t panic if you accidentally get one or two once in a while.
- TIP: Buy organic to avoid as many chemicals or residues as possible.
- TIP: Wash gently the outside of a lemon before squeezing so you do not get any chemicals or residue. Use a drop of natural hand soap or dish soap.
- TIP: If you are concerned about the acid on your teeth, use a stainless steel straw.
- TIP: In the morning, squeeze 2-3 lemons per person and put in a glass jar with a lid to use throughout the day – creates less mess and less work.
- TIP: Make 32-ounce drinks instead of 8 or 16 ounces. Helps you to drink more!
- TIP: Drink at least 16 ounces of lemon water BEFORE your morning coffee.
- TIP: Make it fun, use a lime once in a while.
- TIP: Use a lemon press that is easy on the hands. It will: squeeze out the juice, strain the seeds, and press the rind enough to get a drop or two of the fresh essential oil from the rind.
- TIP: If you are drinking alcohol, squeeze some fresh lemon juice in it to help your body deal with the alcohol.
- TIP: Cut slices of lemon and add to your lemon water throughout the day.
- TIP: Cold water slows digestion, use room temperature water or warm water. Yet, cold lemon water is always better than soda.
- TIP: Your body is naturally the thirstiest in the morning, so get serious about drinking first thing when you wake up.
- TIP: When going out to eat, ask for a glass of water, no ice, and a few slices of lemon. When it arrives, squeeze the lemon juice into your glass and discard the peel. If you need sweetener to drink it, carry packets of powdered stevia with you.
- TIP: After you have squeezed the juice out of the lemon, stick the half of lemon peel in a glass of water – there is always something left in there!!
Lemon Water Detox Plan
Everyone will respond differently to lemon water, so add this to your diet without any other major changes to isolate the effects. Do this on a regular basis for lifelong benefits. Start with a 30-day commitment and take notes of the changes you see and feel in your body, energy, mood, and cravings.
Both freshly squeezed organic lemon juice AND organic lemon essential oil from the lemon peel have excellent health benefits. My suggestion is to use both, daily.
- Upon rising: drink 32 ounces of pure water with the juice of one lemon, stevia to sweeten if you need it.
- Follow with another 32 ounces of pure water with organic lemon essential oil – food grade (start with 1 drop to make sure you have no problems with it, go as high as about 4 drops per 32 ounces).
- Throughout the day drink things like organic detox tea with additional fresh squeezed lemon juice or lemon essential oil.
- Before meals, have an 8-16 ounce pure water with lemon juice to curb appetite and prepare the body for your meal.
- Add lemon juice and/or lemon zest to salad dressings, home-made ice cream or sorbet, cauliflower or broccoli, and fish.
- Bedtime organic chamomile tea is always good with some lemon juice. Lemon juice may be energizing so use sparingly at bedtime. Your body will let you know if bedtime lemon works for you or not. You can use the tea without lemon to help you get sleepy.
Conquer 30 days of lemon water and then we will ramp it up to get even more health benefits.
Make Healing From Lyme Disease Sweet!!!
If you have Lyme Disease, you may want to make sure you use a therapeutic grade specifically for that purpose. Stevia Kills Lyme Disease Pathogen Better Than Antibiotics can help you learn more about this topic. Contact me for a therapeutic grade organic stevia specifically for Lyme. Might as well use sweetness to kill Lyme!!
Dig Deeper – Learn More About Lemon Water
Are you ready for your 30-Day Lemon Water Detox? Are you ready to make this a lifelong habit to reap the health benefits?
Maribeth Baxter, MBEC (Certified Mind-Body Eating Coach)