Most of us have had tea and enjoy our favorites. It is fun to explore and see where our taste buds take us. Tea comes in so many flavors and so many health benefits that there are unending possibilities.
Let’s stretch our tea choices and see what we like. Tea bags are a great way to taste test and explore. As we refine our tastes and settle into tea as a lifestyle choice, we can buy our favorites as loose tea and all the gadgets. For now, let’s keep this super simple and explore a bag at a time. No stress, this is simply the basics. There are many websites with wonderfully detailed instructions on every kind of tea you can imagine. For now, we are going to start with tea bags and hot water, easy peasy!!
If you can boil water, you can make tea. I have a whistling teapot that I love because it is easy on my clumsy hands. During chronic illness, do what works. A teapot that has padded areas so that we don’t burn our hands and can get a good grip on it makes life so much easier during illness.
Please do NOT use a microwave to heat your water. Microwave radiation causes water molecules to go nuts.
While the water is heating on the stove, I pull out my tea stash and make my choice. I place one bag in a cup and pour the hot water over it. Let it sit for about 5 minutes (the box will have the exact recommended time but I always wing it). Then I remove and trash the tea bag. Sitting down with my teacup and sipping while I enjoy the moment is relaxing and helps me breath deeper.
Taste Test All Day Long
Don’t get hung up on any “rules” how we “should” drink tea. Just do what works for you. The fluids and nutrients will do you well any time of day. The only “rule” that applies to most people: caffeine in the morning but not after 12 noon so it does not interfere with sleep. However, if you are about to grab a caffeinated soda in the afternoon as a pick-me-up, try a caffeinated tea instead.
Here is a list of how I do tea but YOU can do it any way you want. Relax, enjoy getting to know different teas.
Organic Tea Six Flavor Assortment: This is a good deal and easy. You get to try 6 different teas, all certified organic, for a great price.
- Roasted Dandelion Spice Detox Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Simply Detox Wellness, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Detox Infusion – Organic
- Parsley Leaf Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Honey Lavender Stress Relief, Caffeine-Free – Non-GMO
- Lemon Balm Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Linden Flower with Hawthorn and Lemon Balm Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Ginger Herbal Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Tulsi Tea Peppermint, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Tummy Fennel Tea (mild licorice flavor), Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Mixing any two of these together is a tasty combination
- Black tea – Spiced Full Leaf Black Tea Blended with Chai Spice, Medium-Caffeine – Organic
- Toasted Rice Full Leaf Sencha Green Tea, Medium-Caffeine – Organic
- Lemon Yerba Mate Green Tea & Lemon Myrtle, High-Caffeine – Organic
- A fun tea: Rich black tea with vanilla, chamomile, cherry, carob, Caffeine – Organic / bulk 100 bags
- Ginseng – do not use because there is some evidence that people with autoimmune diseases, blood clotting issues, or bleeding issues may have problems. My website focuses a lot on chronic illness, so my suggestion is that you should not risk experimenting with ginseng until you are well and you consult your physician.
This is when I like a cool tea. I stick a tea bag in a mason jar with water overnight and drink for lunch the next day. Read the details in Infused Tea Water.
- Hibiscus Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Elderberry Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Thyme Leaf Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Orange Spice Tea, Low Caffeine – Organic
- Rishi Blueberry Hibiscus Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic This one has some powerful ingredients: Ingredients: Organic rooibos, organic elderberries, organic hibiscus flowers, organic currants, organic blueberries, natural blueberry flavor, organic schizandra berries, natural strawberry flavor. Gluten-Free and Non-GMO.
- Rishi Earl Grey Tea, High-Caffeine – Organic This also has essential oil in it: Ingredients: Organic black tea, essential bergamot oil
- Tulsi Turmeric Ginger, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Chocolate Pu-erh Tea, Medium Caffeine – Organic
- Oregano Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Chamomile Herbal Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Nighty Night Valerian Tea, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Chamomile Lavender, Caffeine-Free – Organic
Explore the Twists
Tea all by itself can be perfect in its simplicity. Sometimes we want some twists and excitement.
- Raw Honey – Organic
- Raw Honey, Paste – Organic
- Stevia, powder – Organic
- Stevia, powder packets – Organic (Beware, additional ingredients, but better than table sugar by far. Great for taking to restaurants or picnics.)
- Stevia, liquid – Organic (usually 1-2 drops in a cup of tea is plenty)
- Stevia, liquid (Stevia Kills Lyme Disease Pathogen – contact me to purchase $19.95)
Kombucha is a lightly fermented non-alcoholic tea. Kombucha has been known to strengthen your immune system; for balancing, cleansing and detoxing your body; to provide energy and aid digestion.
- Tea Bags: Green Kombucha, Caffeine-Free – Organic
- Cans: Kombucha Herbal Tea – Amrita Chai, Caffeine-Free – Organic: Inspired by Ayurveda, Amrita Chai infuses black Assam tea with Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Gotu Kola & Tulsi with cinnamon, cardamom, clove & vanilla bean, creating a crisp, spicy-sweet, chai elixir.
Local grocery store: While grocery shopping, look for a refrigerated section with healthy drinks and find Kombucha. The usual brand names you can find at your local grocery store: Synergy Organic and Raw and KEVITA Master Brew. There are many good brands. Read the labels for a full list of ingredients.
Make Tea a Meal
Add a healthy fat and protein powder to your tea and you have a meal. It is exactly the same concept and steps as Crazy Good Keto Coffee.
Tea Into a Hot Meal
Makes 2 servings
- Make 32 ounces of hot tea (breakfast tea usually tastes best
- Dandelion Tea
- Healthy Fat – 2 tablespoons
- MCT Oil – 2 tablespoons (optional and in addition to above healthy fat)
- Healthy Protein – 4 scoops (if using vegan, use to taste)
- Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides – my favorite, no real taste
- Cricket Protein Powder – Yes, weird but 25g protein and no sugar, proven that cricket protein is even more bioavailable than beef
- Vegan – Hemp – BEWARE, this has a strong earthy taste but it is the best quality
- Vegan – Pea Protein, also has a “taste” but not as storng as hemp
- Vanilla – organic (optional)
- Cacao turns it into a tea hot chocolate (optional)
- 1 teaspoon organic raw cacao
- Cinnamon – organic – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice 1/4-1/2 tsp (optional)
- Turmeric – organic – 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- Star Anise – organic – 1 star per drink (optional)
- Star Anise ground – organic – 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper – organic – one sprinkle (optional)
- Sweetners – (optional)
- Lemon – fresh squeezed (optional)
- Prepare 4 cups (32 ounces) of hot water (almost boiling)
- Pour 16 ounces in blender and set aside the other 16 ounces, covered to stay warm
- Add 2 tea bags to 16 ounces of the hot water in the blender
- Steep tea bags according to product instructions (using the blender like you would a cup to steep tea – less dishes)
- REMOVE tea bags after steeping time
- WARNING: If it is too hot, the steam will blow the lid off the blender
- In blender, add healthy fats and protein powder
- Add any optional ingredients: MCT oil, vanilla, spices
- Blend on low speed for just a second to let the steam do what it is going to do
- Blend on high for less than a minute
- Add the extra hot water and pulse your blender to mix it all togeter
- Pour into 2 large mugs and drink
Tip: Make this in a beaker and use a “smart stick” (immersion blender). No risk of the steam being a problem.
Make it fun, pull out your fine china or use mason jars, whatever makes you smile. Play with all of the options. Enjoy the variety of tastes and nutrients. And let your body thrive on all the benefits.
Which ones did you enjoy the most? Which ones did you feel and see a difference in your body or moods?
Maribeth Baxter, MBEC (Certified Mind-Body Health Coach)
Donations accepted to serve others on their chronic illness journey. Maribeth Baxter, MBEC provides voluntary certified health coaching services to the financially limited during their time of crisis.